Felt Hat Restorations
The Catalena Hatters Felt Hat Restoration Process
- To start the renovation process each hat is stripped of the old leather, lining and band. Hat is inspected for cuts, breaks, and holes in crown and brim. Surface dirt is removed and hat is chemically treated for different types of stain.
- The hat is then thoroughly washed in a chemical solution to remove stains and embedded soil. Excess fluid is then extracted from the hat.
- Once the hat is dry, it is inspected to be sure it is as clean as possible and then stiffened.
- Steam blocking is a process to establish the correct head size and crown height. At this time a hat can be made smaller or larger.
- The brim and crown are then ironed to create a smooth working surface.
- The crown and brim are then pounced, powdered and dry ragged to regain color and finish. This procedure can be repeated as many times as needed to gain the proper finish.
- Even with machinery to insure a smooth quality finish, extensive handwork is done because no two hats are alike.
- The hat is placed in a wooden flange and the brim is pressed to tighten, smooth, and form initial shape. The bag is filled with sand and heated to accomplish this.
- The hats are then moved to the trim department for finishing. The first step is cutting and fitting a new leather sweatband by hand to each individual hat to insure a proper and comfortable fit.
- The leather sweatband is then hand guided and stitched to the hat.
- The outside trim or ribbon is then tacked to the hat. The trims vary in color and width to give each hat an individual appeal.
- Each hat is then customfitted with a new silk lining.
- Each hat is processed through a final inspection for a good finish and workmanship by qualified hatters before shipping. Shaping is done as per customer instructions.
Shipping and Payment Instructions
Enclose your hat in any box. Let us know if you have any changes to make on your hat in reference to head size or crease.
For payment, please enclose a personal check, money order, or credit card number with expiration for $200 ($165 for hat restoration, $35 for shipping). Some orders may be subject to additional charges.
A llow up to 4 to 6 months time in our shop (plus shipping time). Hats received in fall or winter could take longer due to the heavier demand.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-833-430-HATS.